Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The One With North Carolina's New Law

Anyone who caught my math error yesterday can now give a giant sigh of relief -- I actually DO know the difference between 80 and 90, but I do not

According to the Raleigh News & Observer, the North Carolina Senate has overturned the governor's veto of an abortion law.

North Carolina being, of course, in the Bible Belt of America, stuff like this and The Gays and. . .pretty much anything not having to do with the parts of the Bible that're usually in the spotlight are SERIOUS BUSINESS, YOU GUYS! I can't say I'm altogether surprised with this decision, but that doesn't mean I agree with it.

The new law states that women seeking abortions have to get ultrasounded, get state-mandated counseling, and wait 24 hours before actually getting one.

So, basically what's going on here, is that abortion isn't illegal, because the people voting don't want it to be, but what is instead going to happen is that anyone seeking to get a legal abortion is going to be guilted counseled, have to look at the ultrasound, and then wait anyway, so they can then ruminate on everything they've been told.

I think it's garbage.

The pro-law people are arguing that women "should have all the information available to them."

Yes, absolutely. They should. They should know exactly what it is they're doing, and should be offered all the information they need/want/whatever.

They should be offered all the information.

They should not have the information forced upon them.

What is the point of an ultrasound? The only thing this could possibly be for is to wave it in the woman's face and say, "SEE? It's a BABY!" There's no medical need to do that.

Counseling. . .that one's a little harder, but again, I think it's something that should be OFFERED, not FORCED. I would love to know what these "state-mandated" counseling sessions are going to look like.

Doctor: I see you're wanting an abortion.
Patient: Yes.
Doctor: Don't you know that's evil? Don't you know it's murder?
Patient: But I was raped by my brother and have always known that if I give birth, it'll kill me.
Doctor: But it's your BABY. You're going to KILL your BABY!

I think that, yeah, counseling should be OFFERED, both before and after the procedure, but that forcing someone into it is just making an already bad situation worse.

The 24-hour waiting period is. . .actually, I can sort of get behind that. Someone comes in, you offer (but don't force) the information on them, offer them counseling, and they can make an appointment to come in the next day. That could work, I guess. So we'll keep the 24-hour waiting period, but I think the rest is crap.

So what do you think? And I promise, if you disagree, I'm not going to be like, "RAWR!" I'd like to have someone that can logically and reasonably explain to me (without the use of morals and religion) why this is a good idea. Because last time I checked, government wasn't supposed to do things because of religion. And they certainly don't care about morality.

1 comment:

  1. sooooo I'm going to disagree with you on this one. In general, when you get any sort of surgery done, it's protocol for the surgeon to tell you exactly what the procedure entails and any sort of side effect or malfunction that might happen. I don't see how "forcing" the information on someone who's considering an abortion is a bad thing. Most people are desensitized to the idea of abortion because it's been in our faces for the past 30 years. People think "oh, okay. I'm pregnant. That's not good. I'll just get an abortion." But the reality is, getting an abortion is a messy, messy procedure, filled with gory details and a pretty traumatic rehabilitation period. In addition the physical rehabilitation your body has to deal with, but the emotional tolls your body naturally goes through can be pretty serious, especially for those prone to depression anyway. I'm pretty sure the counseling that's required is not going to be anything like what you've described, as I'm fairly positive you're aware. I've never been to counseling, but I'm fairly positive any good counselor will help others work through the idea of losing a baby, whether you meant to lose it or not. I'm just saying, out of the few people I"ve known personally to have an abortion, it's pretty messy -- physically, emotionally, socially. Not many people can come away with it unscathed. I do wonder, however, that if they're making it mandatory, are they providing these services for people who can't afford it?

    ReplyDelete