Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The One With the Giant Snow Chunk

Apparently, this company resets login information every couple of months. What this means for me is that I can't get into anything, can't do any work. The woman now in charge of this project has her office door closed, and I'm just kind of sitting here with no access to anything. Technically, I don't have Internet access, but I worked my way around that one.

Everything is officially moved out of the extended-stay and into the new apartment. The next phase of this project for me is to get everything out of my bedroom at my father's house and move it into the new place. This is not as simple a task as it may seem, mostly because I have A Lot of Stuff, and I need to whittle it down. This takes time and effort. I'm really self-conscious about the amount of stuff I have amassed in 25 years, and I'd like to. . .get rid of some of it. But I'm sentimental and kind of a packrat, so that's easier said than done.

The DVDs were a trick. So. Many. DVDs. Also, several TV on DVD shows. The TV and DVD player have been moved in, though, along with my beloved Super Nintendo, so even though there's no cable or Internet, there's entertainment. There's no furniture currently, but stuff is slowly trickling in. Maybe there will be a bed soon.

The new place has a 24-hour "fitness center," which is cool. I will need to unlazy myself sometime soon, so when it comes time for bathing suit weather again, I'm not ashamed of anything more than the fact I kind of glow white in the sun.

Speaking of sun, or lack thereof, I'm about tired of all the snow and ice sitting around. It sits around because no one knows what to do about it. There are still chunks of major thoroughfares slushed and frozen over, and I almost slid into oncoming traffic this morning because no one has thought about maybe de-icing the turn lane to get into work. I've been wearing hiking boots everywhere, because I've come within an inch of face-planting more than once. Also, there have been chunks of snow falling off the room of the extended-stay, scaring the bejeezus out of me. Last night, I looked out the window and saw this. . .overhang of snow. A canopy, if you will. There were cracks in it, icicles dropping from it. . .it looked like it might be certain death if you were standing under it when it fell.

I desperately wanted to watch it fall. I can't really explain that. It's similar to the fact that I really wanted to throw hot water off the balcony, into the pool area, which was completely snowed over, just to melt some of the snow and cause destruction to things. I guess I have a destructive nature. But I watched it up until I went to sleep, and every time I woke up during the night, I watched it. At about. . .I don't even remember what time it was. I was to say it was around 4:30 or 5 this morning, I was staring at it, willing it to fall. It did not, and about 5 seconds after I gave up and closed my eyes, there was a rumbling that sounded like the roof was caving in, and the sound of something heavy hitting the ground. It had fallen. And I had missed it. And it scared the Holy Moses out of me.

I'm contemplating lunch now. Since the last of the stuff was being moved out this morning, lunch was not made. Now that I have a real, legit kitchen, food preparation will be so much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment