Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

The One With a New Apartment and Chickless Chicken

I've figured out what it is I needed to make myself write in this thing more often.
If you look to the right of the page? That little pink box with numbers in it? That's all I needed.

I'm an attention whore. I make no bones about this. I know it, you know it, D knows it. . .that's all that matters. Awareness. I had 5 hits yesterday, and now I have 31. That makes me happy. I'm not entirely sure where I got the correlation between how much I write and how many people read, but. . .it doesn't matter.

Signing the papers for the new apartment tomorrow. This is a big thing, actually, because I've never had a real, grown-up apartment before. When I lived in the mountains, I had an apartment, but it was actually a makeshift apartment in a big house. I mean, I had a bedroom, kitchen, den, bathroom. . .but on the whole, it was in a big house. I've never lived in a legitimate "this was built to be apartments" space. And that's cool. The place is nice, and there's a place to work out, so I no longer have the excuses of it being too expensive/too far away/I'm too lazy. I can still be lazy, but it's harder to do when the place is right outside your door. I'm anticipating sleeping on the floor for a while, what with the lack of bed, but it'll at least be a nice floor.

They're calling for snow and "winter weather" tonight and this weekend but, like I told D, I'll believe it when I see it. Sure, 10 years ago or so, they said it was going to flurry and we ended up with like 2 feet of snow, but that is a true rareity. It just doesn't really snow here. People up North know where it's at. It snows and they're all like, "Whatever. Hand me an ice scraper." It snows here, and people freak out. "Oh my God, go buy bottled water! And batteries! And bread! And milk! And a generator so the milk doesn't go bad!" No, correction. It THREATENS to snow here and people do that.

A couple of weeks ago, there was a slight chance of snow that actually ended up being rain, and every county around here was on a 2-hour school delay. Sometimes they cancel school because someone thinks they might have heard someone say it may or may not snow. Just the word is enough to cause mass panic. When I lived in the mountains, it was really surprising to me how much people just didn't care that it was snowing. If the flurries we had up there were had here, school would close early, people would leave work so they didn't get stuck on the freeway, etc. There, people were like, "Oh. Snow. Better put on a hat. Or maybe not. I'm too badass for a hat."

I was informed this morning by this guy, A, I'm working on this project with, that the part of the project I'm working on right now has already been done. I'm literally re-doing this part of this project, because even though people have been told it's already been done, apparently, no one's listening. This is what they're paying me to do.

I'm excited about moving into the apartment because I'm going to have an oven and a normal-sized fridge. I've been living in this extended-stay place since November, and it has an itty-bitty fridge (think the kind you'd have in a college dorm) and no oven. Food prep has been a hassle. We've been eating a lot of sandwiches. Last night's were actually really good; I found a recipe for Cobb Sandwiches (like a Cobb Salad, but on a sandwich), and they had avacado, lettuce, egg, "chicken," bacon, and a mixture of mayo and blue cheese dressing. I put chicken in quotation marks because I went to Trader Joe's, anticipating the pre-cooked chicken breasts I've gotten before, and they were nowhere to be found. I didn't want to spend the money on a big bag of pre-cooked chicken (which would not fit in the freezer), so I got fake chicken. Tofoicken. Chickless Chicken. D liked it. I gave him mine, because I thought it was gross. But having an oven will not only allow me to bake again (YAY!), but also have a wider range of foods I can make for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment