Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The One With Alarm Clocks

It's Wednesday.

(I think.)

It's Wednesday, and that means after today, the week only has two more days of work in it. I'm pretty sure that, for the length of time I've been at this job, I have yet to work a full week. In weeks past, today would be the last day of my work week. I may or may not go into shock tomorrow when my (wretched) alarm clock goes off.

Speaking of alarm clocks, I have found something intriguing, and it is called a sun lamp alarm clock. The theory is that you will be woken up by a simulated sunrise, and it's not as harsh a wake-up call (so to speak) as a regular alarm. I think I could definitely get behind something like that, but I would be really concerned that it wouldn't wake me up. I fluxuate between being a really light sleeper and a really heavy sleeper, so the nights where I slept heavily? I wonder if the "alarm" would wake me up.

"Sorry, boss. I didn't hear my sunrise this morning."

You know how things are brought to your attention, randomly, and you realize it's something you've never thought about before, and then you sit and contemplate it forever? On one of the ads for the sunrise clock, it mentioned it was great for deaf people. This blew me away. I'd never really thought about that before. Can deaf people use alarm clocks? I imagine that there's some kind of vibrating something or other clock that they can use, but I'd just never thought about it before.

(OK, on further Googling consideration, apparently, the vibrating thing was right. Some people have really loud alarm clocks that they can "feel" the vibrations from when it goes off, and some people put vibrating alarm clocks underneath their pillows. And my Googling brought me to yet another horrifying question: If a deaf person is asleep, how would they hear a fire alarm go off? Apparently, they have special alarms for things like that, but man.)

While I'm on the subject, it kind of reminds me of my senior year of college. . .the dormpartment I lived in had some handicapped rooms. One of my friends lived in one of these, and it was really cool, because not only did the door have a peephole at the normal eye level, there was also one lower, presumably for people in wheelchairs. They also had a giant shower (again, probably for the people in wheelchairs), but the coolest thing was the "doorbells." Each room had a light in it, and if you rang the "doorbell" for their room, a light would flash. For deaf people, I assume.

These are the things I think about when I have nothing to do at work. (Which I don't.)

I applied for a promising-looking publishing job around here today. It would be. . .supremely nice to get that, because it looks like something I'd like to do, and there's room for advancement. That was the thing about the paper I worked at. . .I'd literally gone as high as I could without being the editor or publisher or something. Since the current editor would literally have to be dragged out kicking and screaming (or dead), that was never an option for me. But I'm tired of temping and I want back into publishing.

I kind of feel like I'm going to have to start from the ground up again. Not looking. . .so much forward to that prospect, but I guess everyone has to start (over) somewhere. Mostly, though, I want a job where I do things. Getting paid to do nothing is all fine and dandy, but it gets boring after a while.

And an update: C made a Web site to track Little J's progress. He's made progress in some areas, not as much progress in others, but he's got a veritable army of people thinking about him, so that's good: www.caringbridge.org/visit/johnmoorefield

No comments:

Post a Comment