Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

The One with the Birchboxes

Two of the things I love most in life are samples and beauty products.  I have an embarrassing amount of makeup, lotions, cleansers, stuff for my hair, nailpolish. . .it's a little ridiculous.

Back in March, I got an e-mail from a website called Birchbox.com, telling me that "the wait was over!" and that I could sign up for my Birchbox subscription.

Since I'd forgotten I'd put myself on the list, I hadn't necessarily been waiting (I didn't even remember what Birchbox WAS), but when I went to the site, I remembered that you can sign up for $10 a month to get a little box of beauty product samples.

Best thing ever?  Yeah.

I got my first Birchbox in March and have subsequently gotten ones in April and May.  The one for May, I was a little disappointed with, because it was Gossip Girl themed, and I'm not into that, but I got an awesome perfume, nail polish called "Disco Nap," and a BB cream, which I keep hearing about, but had no idea what it was, that looks pretty good on me.

April's was all organic-themed, and the best thing out of that box was the salt scrub.  Apparently, some of the moisturizer out of this box smelled like a man's cologne, according to D, so I just gave it to him.

March's box, however. . .there are still a couple things I haven't tried, but I've loved everything that was in it.  It was the best inaugural box ever.

It starts with a box. . .


How freaking cute is that little box?



In it, there was a nice variety of things.  Two of them, I ended up buying in a full-sized version, one from Birchbox itself, and one from Amazon because, sadly, it was backordered on Birchbox.


This perfume smells like tiny little bunnies hopping up and down a rainbow and frollicking with unicorns.  Legitimately, it is one of the best-smelling perfumes I've smelled in life.  D's not a huge fan of it, and it costs $85 a pop. . .otherwise, I'd have bought out Birchbox's stock of it by now.


These are bits of "fashion tape."  I guess it's what celebrities use in order to wear ridiculously high- and low-cut dresses without showing all.  I haven't used these yet.


This hair elixir, I'm now obsessed with.  I bought a big bottle of it off of Amazon.  It smooths out my hair (which is prone to frizziness, especially now that I'm having it colored) and smells vaguely of vanilla.  Changed my hair life.


This is maybe the most amazing invention I've seen to date.  Stick-on-able eyeliner.  I'm a mess with eyeliner.  I rarely draw it on straight, and I can't do anything fancy with it.  Until now.  (Admittedly, I haven't tried it yet because it intimidates me, but the whole concept is awesome.)


I love how this stuff smells.  It's blemish clearer.  It clears blemishes.  What can I say?  It works.

And last but not least. . .


Stripper to go!  This is another thing I bought.  It's this little. . .finger-of-a-glove looking thing soaked in the best-smelling nail polish remover in life.  You can stick it in your purse, and if you (like me) get to work and notice your nails are looking ridiculously bad and chipped, you can take it right off. 

(Although, I'm not sure what you should do if you're like me and leave on your red polish too long so the parts of your nails it covered turn an icky shade of yellow that looks like your nails are diseased and going to fall off, but OH MY GOD, you guys, it's stain FROM THE NAIL POLISH!)

Ahem.

So that's Birchbox, and, more specifically, my March Birchbox.  I'll have another entry. . .sometime about another thing that I pay to have brought to my door through a really cool service. . .fresh, local farm-grown veggies!

*Note: I wasn't paid for this post. I pay for my own Birchbox subscription; I just legitimately love the service and the products. Birchbox doesn't know who I am. I wish they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment