Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

The One Where Pet Names Creep Me Out

I have read every comment left on my last post. I've stopped responding because honestly? I don't want to talk about it anymore, and I don't want to sound like I'm fighting with anyone. (I'm not.) Thanks for thoughts, though. I like getting other people's points of view.

Slow (slow slow slow) day at work today. Can't really complain, I guess, but no work for a temp = no more work period. I ordered pizza for the class that's training right now, and the Papa John's guy is going to be here in about 20 minutes. I have eaten more pizza in the last two weeks than I think should be legal. So much pizza. But I'm pretty sure I could live off of cheese pizza if it became necessary (i.e. the government mandated that 3 meals a day need to consist of cheese pizza.) That would not be a problem for me.

It was raining and gross this morning, but I got to work without hydroplaning (like an Explorer in front of me did) or getting into a wreck (like three people did on the road that takes me to work), so I consider it a good day.

I have this issue that I've been contemplating. I don't ever call D by name. Like. . .I don't call him anything. This is something I used to do with my friends' parents. I went to a Christian school, so most of my friends' parents were Mr. or Mrs. So-and-So, because everyone was conservative and old school, and I was massively uncomfortable with that. Then I got to public high school, and some people were OK with first names, and some people still wanted to be called Mr. or Mrs. So-and-So, so I didn't know what to do, and I didn't want to ask, so I rectified this by just not calling them anything, and just standing in front of them and talking, which I'm sure was massively awkward. But most things I did throughout my schooling were awkward, so there you go.

Anyway, this has leaked over into my own personal personal life. I don't refer to him as anything most of the time. I also have trouble using pet names. I like pet names. I like being called Sweetheart, or Hun, or whatever. (Note: this does not apply to people I've just met. Don't call me Baby if I don't know your last name. Or, don't call me that at all unless I'm dating you. Which I'm not.) I like the concept of the pet name, but I can't make myself use them for some reason.

And then there are the extremes.

Nothing irritates me more than being on facebook or something, and seeing people refer to each other by sickeningly, SICKENINGLY sweet little pet names. This one person I know, and the person they're going to marry, call each other things like Lovey Dovey Honey Buns or Pumpkin Cream Silly Willy. (Note: these are not exact replicas of names.)

I need something in between to call D, if not by first name.

Or maybe I should just start by calling him by name.

2 comments:

  1. I really dislike being called pet names. I mean ... really dislike it. My ex called me "facey". And he said it in a baby voice. Mind you, we're in our forties. Ugh!! Why "facey"? Because he likes me face.

    Visiting from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am returning the comment love from SITS! I am so glad that I am finding non-mom bloggers. It is great to know that there are bloggers out there that aren't blogging about their kids!!! I am now following you!

    ReplyDelete